My kitchen is under renovation. So I have a really tiny space to work with. Usually, when I’m making non-vegetarian food, I need a lot of space, tidying up in short intervals and my kitchen is a mess most of the time. For the last few days, I did not have that luxury. This is how my need for a vegetarian homemade burger came. And Boy! does this burger taste good! I always liked the idea of beans in my burger patty. The first time I made the bean patty, my family did not approve of it. It tasted more like a potato patty with very fewer beans. The second time, I kept the bean to potato ratio a much more, say 2.5:1 and cooked the beans in two ways, first to mush it up and the second to give it a bit of a bite. The latter did require a bit of work in the sense wait time, there is no hand labour.
Recently I purchased Harissa paste from Sprig. And it was lying in my fridge, unopened. So I decided to give this burger a Harissa theme. All things Harissa is what I ended up doing, surprisingly, the harissa tasted really good and not overpowering at all.
I also made the burger buns on my own. I have posted the recipe on my Instagram post. You can check it out here. The recipe I used is by Jess Liemantara. I used to love her on Masterchef and I loved the brioche burgers that she made for the brunch in the Nigella episode. The buns came out perfect- buttery, soft and sweet.
The burger patty is really easy. You need to get a few elements ready- cook the potatoes, cook the beans and get the bread crumbs coating station ready. For the beans, cook all the beans in a pressure cooker for approximately 20 minutes till they are fully cooked through. Take half the cooked beans and place it on a baking tray, sprinkle salt over it and cook it in the oven, till they roast and turn into an almost dehydrated version.
In a bowl, mix potato, both beans, garlic, salt, chilli flakes, onion powder, cumin and the harissa paste.
Divide the dough into 6, make round spheres and then flatten each one.
For the bread crumb station, in a bowl, mix corn flour and water. In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs and sesame seeds. Dip the burger patty in each, cornflour mixture first on both sides to coat and then the bread crumbs to cover the patty.
Deep fry the patties right before you serve. Serve with the toasted burger buns with cheese, caramelised honey harissa vegetables, lettuce, and Harissa mayo
Harissa Mayonnaise: Harissa paste, mayonnaise, salt, lemon juice, chilli flakes and yoghurt.
Caramelized Honey harissa Vegetables: I chose onions and carrots, You can use any vegetables. Just add chilli flakes, a little bit of olive oil, honey, harissa paste. Toss the vegetables in this mixture and bake at 230 Degrees C for 20 minutes.
Makes- 6 Burgers-
Cooked potato- 1 Cup
Cooked Kidney beans- 2.5 Cups
Garlic granules- 3 Teaspoons
Onion powder- 2 Teaspoons
Cumin powder- 2 Teaspoons
Harissa Paste- 3 Teaspoons ( I used Sprig)
Bread crumbs- 3/4 Cup (I used panko)
Sesame seeds- 6 Teaspoons
Corn flour- 1/4 Cup
Water- 1/2 Cup
For the Harissa mayonnaise-
Harissa paste- 4 Tablespoons
Mayonnaise- 1/2 Cup
Yoghurt- 1/2 Cup
Lemon juice- 5-6 Teaspoons
Chilli flakes- 2 teaspoon
Salt- To taste
Harissa honey grilled Vegetables-
Carrots- 5 Medium
Onions- 5 Medium
Oil- 1 Tablespoon
Honey- 2 Tablespoons
Chilli Flakes- 2 Teaspoon
Harissa Paste- 2 Teaspoon
Salt- To taste
Burger buns- 6 (You can try these brioche buns or get store bought ones)
- Burger Patty: Take half the cooked beans in a baking tray. sprinkle salt and a little bit of oil and bake for 20 minutes at 230 Degrees C.
- In a bowl, mix potato, both beans, garlic, salt, chilli flakes, onion powder, cumin and the harissa paste.
- Divide the dough into 6, make round spheres and then flatten each one.
- In a bowl, mix corn flour and water. In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs and sesame seeds. Dip the burger patty in each, cornflour mixture first on both sides to coat and then the bread crumbs to cover the patty.
- Deep fry the patties right before you serve. Serve with the toasted burger buns with cheese, caramelised honey harissa vegetables, lettuce, and Harissa mayo
- Harissa Mayonnaise: Mix all the ingredients and refrigerate till required.
- Harissa honey grilled vegetables: Mix all the ingredients in a baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes at 230 Degrees C.
- To serve: Toast the sliced buns with cheese. Lay the deep fried burger patty on top, followed by the roasted vegetables and the harissa mayonnaise. Top off with LEttuce and the bun. Slather some mayonnaise on the bottom of the buns if you want the extra punch.