This dish happened because my mother wanted to clean out the fridge and there were a bunch of leftovers in the fridge from one of my burger experiments. This is not one of those mushrooms stuffed with lots and lots of cheese. It is a little more refined than that. And much much more delicious. It definitely has all things fat, which is the essence of any stuffed mushrooms.
So for the filling, you will need some caramelised onions, which is basically thinly sliced onions and garlic sauteed in some butter, with a little bit of sugar, salt and pepper. The onions caramelise and turn into a deep brown chunky jam consistency after 20 minutes of cooking with the lid on a low flame.
The caramelised onions are mixed with some heavy cream or sour cream and cheese. Adjust seasoning at this point, more salt, pepper etc.
the last step before stuffing is to prepare the bread crumbs by adding some thyme, cheese and melted butter to the bread crumbs.
Clean the mushrooms by washing them and drying them with a kitchen towel. Stuff the mushrooms with the caramelised onion filling and topping it off with the bread crumbs mixture. Bake or grill till the cheese melts and turns deep brown. Serve with some garlic aioli or mayonnaise.
Onions- 1 large, sliced thinly
Garlic- 4 Cloves, Sliced thinly
Butter- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 Tablespoon
Heavy cream or Sour cream- 1/4 Cup
Cheese- 1 cup, Grated
Bread crumbs- 1/2 Cup
Thyme- 2 Tablespoons
Sugar- 1 Teaspoon
Salt and Pepper- To taste
- To make the caramelised onions, in a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter, onions, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. On low heat, cook the mixture with the lid on, stirring occasionally so that they don’t burn at the bottom. After 15- 20 minutes, the onions will turn brown, would have reduced to 1/3rd and become sticky and jammy. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the warm caramelised onions, heavy cream or sour cream, and 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- In another bowl, mix 1 tablespoon butter, melted, bread crumbs and thyme.
- Stuff each washed and dried mushroom with a tablespoon or so of the cream and onion filling and top it off with the bread crumbs mixture.
- Grill for 8-10 minutes or bake at a preheated oven at 220 Degrees C for 20 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges and garlic aioli or plain mayonnaise.