I recently made crusty burger buns. I also had some prawns in hand the same day. So I decided to make some crispy prawn burgers. It’s quite basic. There arent any fancy sauces or complicated condiments. And honestly, burgers are one of those dishes, you can be very creative with. I added fresh vegetables and due to lack of lettuce, I added hone grown microgreens which turned out to be a big hit in the family. I also made a simple garlic mayo and some caramelized onions and of course, sliced cheese was an obvious choice.
For the prawns, Marinate it in some buttermilk and spices for 10-15 minutes.
While it is marinating, heat the oil and prepare the flour mixture. On a plate add flour, spices, salt, and pepper.
Dip the prawns in the flour mixture and deep fry in batches of 5-6 at a time.
Cut open the bun and toast it. Add cheese, followed by the other ingredients.
For the crispy prawns-
Prawns- 500 gms
Buttermilk- 1 cup
Garlic, smashed- 4 cloves
Italian seasoning or any herbs- 1 tablespoon
Ketchup- 1 tablespoon
Salt- to taste
Pepper- 1 Tsp
Flour- 1 Cup
Oil- for deep frying
Caramalised onions- 1 batch
Burger buns- 6
- Marinate the prawns in some buttermilk, garlic, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning, salt, and 1/2 tablespoon pepper for 10-15 minutes.
- On a plate add flour, 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning, salt, and 1/2 tablespoon pepper.
- While it is marinating, heat the oil.
- Dip the prawns in the flour mixture and deep fry in batches of 5-6 at a time.
- Cut open the bun and toast it.
- Add cheese, followed by the caramelized onions, greens, prawns, mayo and vegetables in the order you like.